Home > Uncategorized > Let’s Recap

Let’s Recap

Well now that the first portion of my time in the U.S. is over, I figure it’s time to update my map.  Recall that I consider the drive from Maine out to the South and West “Phase 2” of the trip.  Phase 3 is the drive north to Alaska, and Phase 4 is the indirect journey home.

You may recall I had a general goal of getting to the Washington/Canada border around the start of August.  The gods of timing have been with me on this trip, as I arrived in Vancouver just before the end of July.

Here’s what the map looks like now after 61 days on the road (red diamond marks the start of the trip just north of Atlanta).  I tried to match up my lines as best as I could with the routes I took.

The journey so far

It’s not until I spent the time drawing out the map that I realized how much ground I’ve covered.  A lot to go, yet, but I am still enjoying being on the road.

So after two months of driving, it’s time for some Roadtrip Stats:

Miles so far: 14,800

Oil changes: 5

Total gas expenditures: $1,521 (give or take $10)

Most expensive gas: $4.59/gal – Big Sur, CA

Cheapest gas: $2.45/gal – Joplin, MO

States traveled through: 31

Nicest rest areas: Illinois

Not-so-nice rest areas: California

National Parks visited: 9

Crawfish meals wasted: 1

Time zones traveled through: 5

Nephews met: 2

Close calls with deer: 1

Bear encounters: 0

Longest period of facial hair growth: ~2 weeks

Tolls paid: $121.20

Most expensive toll: $11.00 – Verrazano Bridge, New York City, NY (one way!)

Most expensive admission fee: $17.24 – Ausable Chasm, NY

Website hits: 9,738 (thanks everybody)

Website hits, to date, on my original roadtrip blog from 2005: 13,774

Total miles traveled in 2005 road trip: 11,500

Arrival in California for 2005 trip: Day 11

Arrival in California for current trip: Day 50

Some searches that brought people to this site: zion park facts aliens, my favorite place in the world is my bed, how bad are the mosquitos in the cascade, moon star in endwell hour, something bit my ear, joe’s pancakes

Traffic/Speeding tickets: 0

Flat tires: 0

Car searches at Customs: 2

AAA usage: 1 – battery jump

Nights spent camping: 2

Hotel/Motel/B&B stays: 4

Friends/Family homes I’ve stayed in: 25

How lucky am I with that last item?  I’ve been able to crash at 25 different homes.  Thanks to everybody who has offered a place to stay for this vagabond.

With this current foray into Vancouver, Phase 3 of the trip has kicked in.  On August 1 I head further North.  It’s over 2,000 miles from Vancouver to Fairbanks, so I have my work cut out for me.  But it’ll be worth it.

1. Matt
    July 31, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I’m confused…aren’t there only four time zones in the continental United States?

Also, I am so completely unsurprised that a search for ‘Joe’s Pancakes’ led someone here. Those were some tasty pancakes.

• July 31, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Good point, Matt. But eastern parts of Maine and New Brunswick are in the “Atlantic” time zone. And thank you for the pancake compliment

July 31, 2010 at 6:45 pm

“There is no road too long to the man who advances deliberately and without undue haste; there are no honours too distant to the man who prepares himself for them with patience.” ……Jean de la Bruyere

What determination! What guts!……and to think we are related! Lucky us :0)

3. Reva Barno
    July 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm

So glad you are still enjoying driving – safely and with no speeding tickets! The recap puts it all in perspective. Thanks for taking me along!

4. ND
    August 1, 2010 at 11:54 am

Stats FTW, although I don’t see one for “number of mosquito bites.”

• August 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Too many to count >_<

5. Colleen
    August 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm

So cool. I wish I was off adventuring with you! Let’s keep the bear encounters at 0, though. Please don’t get eaten.

• August 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I’ll do my best

6. John
    August 1, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Leave the ticket count off the next update……you,re just bragging!

Plus you have not lived till you pay the $450 super speeder ticket to the state of Georgia

Good luck on the next leg of the journey……my brother and his family look forward to you coming to Boulder.

• August 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm

hahaha didn’t mean to brag, I merely need to show my appreciation for the modern invention known as “cruise control.” didn’t have that with the neon in 2005

7. rob
    August 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm

go joe with the family stays! nice

8. melissa
    August 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm

These are awesome stats. I enjoyed reading them. Crawfish meals wasted is funny. I wish you counted the number of carwashes O_o
    _____
    \ /
    \ /
    Here’s to the 3rd leg of your trip! _|_

• melissa
      August 3, 2010 at 4:15 pm

(that was an attempt at a champagne glass)
      FAIL

9. bea
    August 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm

not bad not bad, no speeding tickets so far. and it is good that you realize that you had “wasted” the crawfish meal. 😉