Home > Uncategorized > 20,000 miles and still going strong

20,000 miles and still going strong

I thought hitting 20,000 miles on this trip was a fairly significant milestone that earned its own post. And now that I sit here writing this, I have little to say.

I did initially expect to drive in the neighborhood of 20,000 miles by the time this trip was over, but to actually sit behind the odometer and see the distance I’ve gone is pretty cool.  A bit tiring to think about, but very rewarding at the same time.  That being said, there’s still a lot of driving yet to do, but I haven’t gotten sick of it.

So I figured this was a good opportunity to posit a question to the readers of joesroadtrip.com.  See, I’ve been asked many times the past few months, “Joe, what’s been the highlight of your roadtrip?”  I can never name one thing.  I usually end up rattling off about 10 things or so, and that’s before I even start really thinking about it.

So, dear readers – What has been your favorite part of the trip?

I’m actually very curious what others might see as the highlights, and I wonder if responses will jive with mine or be totally different.  There’s now about 80 or so posts on this website, so feel free to review the archives (on the right hand side) if you need a refresher.  If you have time, leave your response in the comment section and let me know.

Thanks,

1. Mike
    August 20, 2010 at 12:01 am

I’m definitely a big fan of all the photos of course, but I loved the diary for the Space X rocket launch in Florida. Well done, kept me on the edge.

2. Heather
    August 20, 2010 at 12:05 am

Seeing all the cool places we didn’t know about. And of course your trip to our house to meet Nolan:)

3. Nick
    August 20, 2010 at 5:09 am

20,000~ miles, what a achievement!! I bet you could drive to Nepal and Japan if there is a road, a real road.

4. Scott
    August 20, 2010 at 6:47 am

FYI, the “caribou” you mentioned w/pics is actually an elk or waipiti.

• August 20, 2010 at 7:13 am

Oops. good catch. Thanks, Scott

5. Brendan
    August 20, 2010 at 9:57 am

I love the pictures!!! I always imagine blowing them up some how and making large wall posters out of them…then put that stupid “Footprints in the Sand” bullshit poem next to them…and sell them at college campus’s for big money!!!

6. Maria
    August 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Joseph! You need to be a professional photographer! Amazing pictures!!!

• August 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thanks, Maria, I’ve had good luck with the new camera

7. Dad
    August 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Hi, Joe. I liked best the pictures of you with your nephews. Next to those, I like your photos of the Milky Way.

August 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Jip

I have plunged deeply into your 2010 adventure and so glad I have. I awaited each of your posts with much excitement. So much so, as you know, I have probably messed up the accurate “hits” on your blog.

Each post has blown me away. Your photos are so sharp. Yes,we can give some credit to the camera, but it is truly the eye and heart of the one holding the camera that relays to us the magnificence of our earth.

Jip, thanks for sharing your happiness with us. Your generosity is so appreciated!

The color of Peyto Lake ranks high on my list!

Hugs

• August 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Very welcome, Mom. It’s been great seeing your comments every step along the way, in addition to the fitting quotes you’ve found.

9. August 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I have a few favorites…
    In terms of scenery, Zion NP and Peyto Lake top my list.
    I was excited for you on day 69 when you realized your dreams.
    Another memorable part of the trip is discovering your family tree and then possibly meeting extended relatives in Alaska.

Looking forward to more cool moments in the last leg of your journey.

• August 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your faves. It’s really hard for me to think of my own favorites. I mention one place, and then that gets me thinking of another place, then I’m thinking “oh shoot, how about this place?” Lucky to have a lot of highlights to this trip.

10. Jonathan
    August 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Joe, can you make a page of the top 30 pics or so… Or get one of your friends to make a map of North America where you can mouse over on a location and associate a pic with it? It never ceases to amaze me just how beautiful our country is, and your pics do do it justice. I need a way to easily plan out all the places we have to go visit in the next few years.

• August 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Thanks, Jon. I’m brainstorming good ways to capture some of my favorite pictures, though it’s still long before the trip is over. I think a map with the photos is doable, a la GoogleMaps. I’ll ask some of my internet wizard friends to figure out the best way. At the very least, I’ll have a slideshow with locations identified.