Home > Uncategorized > Milestone reached

Milestone reached

Before you read this, be sure to get caught up with the last few items I’ve written.  There’s been several posts in the past 48 hours.

At this point, I suppose it’s safe to say the “first phase” of my trip is complete.  This was the map I initially drew up as a rough plan for my trip, and the blue line shows my starting point in Acworth, GA, taking me all the way up to Maine.

The initial plan. Diamond in GA is the starting point

From there, following the red line, you can see the route turns West (aka the second phase of the trip).  I started that part today.  So here’s a map I drew showing the route I took (following interstates and highways as best as I could freehand) from the starting point, May 30, through June 26.

The journey so far. Southeast, East Coast, and Northeast explored

You may have noticed I’ve covered over 5,000 miles at this point, 29 days into the trip.  As a point of comparison, back in my 2005 roadtrip, I did a big loop around the country and covered about 12,000 miles in the same amount of time.  That was a definite whirlwind, so I’m glad this time I got to take my time coming up North, seeing friends and family along the way.

As I travel further West, the number of friends and family I know decreases a fair amount, so I imagine I’ll be covering more ground in that portion of the trip (red arrow in first map above), in a shorter amount of time.

Thanks for following me along so far.  Everyone’s words of support have meant a lot.  Hope you stay tuned – there is a lot more of the US and Canada to see yet!

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. Color Me Green
    June 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Congrats on completing Phase I. Enjoyed the National Geographic-ish music used for the sunrise slideshow. Thanks for the great pictures that are now serving as my desktop background. Have a great one and see you soon!

• June 29, 2010 at 1:14 am

Thanks Samir, very welcome. I’ve gotten better with the camera, for sure, but I think at some of these places it’s simply impossible to take a bad photo. Just too beautiful. Looking forward to hanging out in Texas

2. Cousin Devin
    June 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Looks like you’re having a pretty awesome trip so far, thanks for providing me with interesting material and stories from your travels. I sit at my desk for 8 hours a day and definitely need good material like yours to help pass the time. Good luck on the rest of your way.

• June 29, 2010 at 1:13 am

Glad I can help the day go by, Devin. I’ll keep writing if you keep reading. Thanks man.

3. Nick
    July 1, 2010 at 12:35 am

All the stories and photos you have posted are great. 5,000 miles is just an another beginning and we look forward to seeing more exciting sharing from you.

• July 1, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thanks man, good to know I have fans of the trip on the other side of the world. P.S. Please say hi to your parents, grandma, and Angeline for me