Home > Uncategorized > New feature – Where’s Joe?

New feature – Where’s Joe?

Hey friends –

If you take a look at the right-hand sidebar of this website, you’ll notice a new area called “Current Location.”  This map gives you up-to-date information on where I am, through the use of Google Latitude Public Badge (which tracks location on smartphones through the use of WiFi, GPS, and cell towers).  So as long as my cell phone is on (usually is) and has some kind of connection, you should be able to check out where in the country I am.

When I originally set up this website, I had plans to have a “Where is Joe now?” feature, but the code of Google Latitude Public Badge doesn’t quite sync up well with this WordPress blog I use.  But thanks to my programming-savvy friend Mike, he was able to work his magic and add this feature.

Unbeknownst to me, he found an image of me in some bright orange waders and a Portland Trailblazers helmet (classy look, I know), and that image has replaced the little orange pin that GoogleMaps traditionally uses.  I think it was a great touch.

6/11 Update: Looks like Mike found other pics of me to use in the map, so now the site will randomly select from three different photos of me, pointing, to help show you were on the map I am located.  Very cool.

Thanks again to Mike!

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. bea
    June 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Current Location does not work for me. Tried many times and it is still showing blank. Get it fixed, Joe. “Every step you take, every breath you make, i will be watching you…”

2. Mike
    June 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Sorry, you tried it when I was editting it. Does it work now?

3. Mike
    June 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Luckily Joe enjoys pointing in all of his pictures… now there are three rotating pictures of Joe pointing out where he is for all to enjoy.

4. Saj
    June 11, 2010 at 11:19 am

Joe, You’re the man!

5. Colleen
    June 11, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I may have refreshed the page a few times just to make sure I saw all three different images. You failed to give a shoutout to the Morrisville clean up t-shirt you are wearing with the waders! Happy travels!

6. Joe
    June 12, 2010 at 2:52 am

Joe! Happy to see the updates man! Thanks for keeping us informed on your journey!

7. John
    June 12, 2010 at 10:32 am

Joe, Maybe you could have you pictures with all the random college t-shirts you wear. Like the one from KSU……Hootie Hoo!!!

8. June 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Your fans await for your next post. just because we can track where you are, doesn’t mean we don’t want details! Hope you had a good weekend.

9. Susan Williams
    June 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Hi Joe,

I am one of your brothers friends from college. He told me you are planning on heading up to Alaska via bicycle. Once you reach Alaska, give me a call. You are more than likely going to pass right through the town I live in (Palmer) on your way to wherever unless you go through Fairbanks. My sister lives in Seward and said you have a place to stay there as well. It’s three hours south of where I am. Anyway, you have a place to stay and I have an extra car you can borrow if it helps you bide time to check out the Great North.

Safe travels!