Home > Uncategorized > Day 15

Day 15

Location: Haddonfield, NJ

Miles Driven: 190

Total Miles: 3,159

3000 miles!  A definite milestone, I think.  The first thing I could think of is a song by one of my favorite folk musicians, Ellis Paul, entitled “3,000 Miles”

Left Bethesda around noon, said my goodbyes, and headed Northeast towards southern NJ.  I knew I had to be back in the North when I paid around $15 in tolls to travel for under 180 miles of traveling.  I failed to hit up an ATM before getting on the road, so I had to reach into the big bag of coins to pay most of the tolls (I imagine the lady who accepted $5 worth of  coins was not too happy with me).

Some bug splatter up front, but the Mazda is doing great

Back in somewhat familiar territory

My plan was to head towards the town of Medford, NJ where my friend Kelly’s parents and brother have an ice cream shop called Coneheads.   It worked out that ice cream was the exact pick-me-up I needed, and I couldn’t have met a nicer group of people.  Kelly’s parents, Ken and Mame, and her brother, Brian, were so very welcoming.  They made a great waffle-cone brownie sundae for me, and I enjoyed that while chatting with everybody.

Me, Ken, Mame, and Brian

I even got a tour of the operations, learning how ice cream gets made.  It was like I was in the TV show “How It’s Made.”  If anyone is in the southern Jersey area, I highly recommend a visit to Coneheads.  Great people, great ice cream, and some great artwork inside.  Here’s one of my favorite paintings that hung on the wall:

I love the subtle replacement of his microphone

So go check it out!  You won’t be disappointed

Coneheads

617 Stokes Rd.  Medford, NJ 08055

Had just a half hour drive from Coneheads to my buddy Sam’s place in Haddonfield.  Hadn’t seen Sam since New Years.  We arranged a small get together at a nearby bar for my friends in the Philly/Moorestown area to all meet.  It’s been years since I’ve seen some of these guys.

Jenna and Adam. On my last trip in 2005, saw these guys just a day or two into the trip. Glad we got to meet up again.

Breton (Sam's roommate) and Sam

Chloe and Nachiket. I went to grad school with Nachiket, and this was the first time I got to meet his wife. Turns out she has a brother in Alaska that I'll be able to link up with in Anchorage. Very cool

Best friends since Kindergarten

Thanks to all my friends who came out last night.  What a great time.  The plan for Monday will be to check out Valley Forge, and then I’ll be fixin for home in Endwell, just about a three-hour drive or so away.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Jenna
    June 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm

SO great to see you Joe, as always. I feel special now that I am featured in your blog. And you didn’t post any blackmail pictures. How thoughtful. Enjoy the rest of your time down here. I want to see you again in the fall before you leave!

2. June 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Joe! I love these posts! That 3000 miles song reminds me of my favorite Christmas song (random for June), 2000 miles by the Pretenders 🙂

• June 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

I never heard this song before, but I like it. Also, Christmas in June – never a bad idea.

3. John
    June 15, 2010 at 8:14 am

Joe, Nice KSU t-shirt!!!! Welcome home. Tell Mom and Dad we all say hello and what and excellent house guest your were. I am sure you keep your room at home clean too!!!!

• June 15, 2010 at 10:16 am

Haha will do. I will use the lessons you taught me in Georgia and apply them to my life back in NY (I occasionally follow your tutelage).

June 15, 2010 at 8:47 am

Jip,

Being the olde fart that I am, I just marvel at your abilities with technology and making your blog SO ALIVE to we who are just reading it! Is this what they call a virtual tour?

It is sheer delight, such joy and wonderfulness, to see how you value your friendships. You know the true value of time. You are so rich, Jip!

• June 16, 2010 at 12:20 am

Mrs. C, I’m a fan of your comments. Please keep them coming. I agree with your comment, Jip is super rich!

June 16, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Sweet Melissa,

Thank you for your kind words.

“Friends are like flowers, beautiful flowers;friends are like flowers in the garden of life.”( Think the kids learned that at St. Joe’s) We all fortunate to have the best looking gardens!

Now, if only I were as clever as Joe, I could play you all the tune with each of your faces on the flowers! Needless to say I am a dinosaur and that ain’t happening.

6. Mr. K
    June 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I was wondering prior to the trip if you had satellite radio – and if I’m correct I see an antenna above your windshield – I can’t imagine driving 30 K without it. Enjoy your time at home, for me it was nice to connect you to those family pics. As Mom said, you are very rich.

• June 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

You’re right, I do have satellite radio. Actually got it 5 years ago just before the last trip, and it was one of the best investments I made. Nothing is worse than having to hunt through stations on the traditional FM radio.

And thanks, it’s good to be back.