Home > Uncategorized > Day 8

Day 8

Location: Charlotte, NC

Miles Driven: 142

Total Miles: 2,147

Took my time getting moving in the morning as I did not have a far drive to Charlotte.  After about two hours of driving, I crossed the South Carolina/North Carolina border, and from there I only had about 15 minutes to get to Dennis’ house.  Soon I was parking at this big complex with an inviting pool and went upstairs to meet Dennis.  He showed me his new condo – a beautiful two bedroom/two bath place with a patio and nice view.  Dennis only recently moved down here from Long Island and already owns some nice property.  Got to meet Dennis’ girlfriend, Emma, as well – a very warm and friendly southern girl.

After a shower they took me out to check out Charlotte.  I had heard good things about the city before but this was my first time here, and right away I could see what my friends had raved about in the past.  Charlotte is a fairly large city but definitely does not have a big-city feel.  It’s a very walkable, clean area with so many modern buildings.

Duke Energy building

We grabbed lunch at a RiRa’s (so far I’ve seen a RiRa’s in Bethesda, Atlanta, and now Charlotte – always very good), and did a little more walking around.  Some of you may know the Charlotte Bobcats (NBA) have a new owner – Michael Jordan – so there is a lot of excitement in this city regarding the team’s future potential.  Here’s a view of where they play, Time Warner Cable Arena:

Let's hope Jordan doesn't make draft picks for the Bobcats like he did for the Wizards...

I also learned that Charlotte is the home to the brand new NASCAR Hall of Fame and Museum which just opened in May:

Rumor has it there is a cool simulator ride inside

Just such a beautiful city:

Modern looking buildings everywhere

We all went back to the suburbs, spent some time out by Emma’s pool, and then enjoyed a great chicken cordon bleu meal she prepared.  Very tasty, and one of the first home-cooked meals I’ve had since I’ve been on the road.  What a cook.

Ended the night watching the movie Sherlock Holmes (not bad, but not great) and listening to the end of the Celtics/Lakers game.  I’m not a real big Celtics fan, but I am happy whenever the Lakers lose.

Dennis kindly offered his place to me as long as I want it, so in the morning I’ll take my time as I need to get some work on the computer done, in addition to doing a little clean up in the car which has gotten a bit messy over the course of a week and 2,000+ miles.  Next stop: Raleigh, only a few hours east of here.

Great visit.  Thanks Dennis and Emma!

Emma, Me, Dennis. (Can you see any familial resemblance?)

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Cousin Dennis
    June 7, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thanks for stopping by Joe! We had a great time and we’ll be following the website!

2. melissa
    June 7, 2010 at 11:59 am

Joe, I don’t think I’ve seen you this tanned before. Did you trade the Mazda in for a Seabring convertible (top optional)?

Charlotte looks like a nice town. Great architectural pics. The NASCAR building almost looks like a computer image. Did the Bobcats replace the Hornets?

I also tried watching Sherlock Holmes a few weeks ago. **thumbs down**
    I’ve drawn a conclusion…Robert Downey FTL. Maybe that’s why i don’t like Iron Man. It’s not the script, it’s the actor?

• June 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

hahaha still in the Mazda. Waiting for the launch did a number on me, for sure. And I’m glad you finally recognize you’re not a fan of Robert Downey, Jr. – that must explain why you don’t like Iron Man (there could be no other explanation for such a fine movie).

3. Nia Hines
    June 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Looks like you’re having a good time Joe! Be safe!!!

4. June 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Chicken Cordon Bleau is my favorite meal!

Also, you’re lookin’ mighty sun-burnt there Joe…(or perhaps wind-burnt like the Everest adventurers)!

• June 8, 2010 at 6:48 am

Ha! Maybe a little bit of both. I feel I cursed myself referring to Florida as “sunshine state my ass”, then it got me real good my last day there. Oh well. You should see the top of my feet – the one day I wear sandals…my pasty white feet barely ever see the light of day. Now the tops of my feet are just a little bit sore.

5. Colleen
    June 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Nice pics, Jip! Great shot of you with Dennis and Emma. Glad to know you have places to sleep other than your car along your travels. Melly, the Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002 — buzzzzzzzzzzzz.

June 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

So nice to see you with Dennis and his lovely Emma. Special times.

“Kind hearts are fountains of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles” ____ Washington Irving

7. Christelle
    June 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

hey Joe I’m so glad to know that u r a laker/kobe-hater like… But the Celtics rocks, so they shud win anyways. Love them